As the colder and drearier days of winter start settling in, homeowners will often start spending more time in their homes. This is also the time that they start realizing that their home is in dire need of some TLC to spruce it up, especially if they want to sell in the spring. As a homeowner, you might be thinking that you’ll wait until the spring to start making improvements to your home – but wait! There are plenty of projects you can take on in the winter months as well! We did the research for you, and have come up with a list of suggestions:
- Basement finishing – No better time to add more livable square footage space to your home! If your basement is unfinished and unused, now is the time to reach out to contractors to get that project going. Whether just putting up drywall and adding flooring to create a fun rec room, or going all out and adding a wet bar, a media room, an additional bedroom or bathroom, or creating a great office, the basement is a perfect space to finish any time of the year. If you are thinking of selling your home in the spring, this added finished square footage will be a great selling point.
- Laundry Room – Who doesn’t love an awesome laundry space? Why not create one that makes the chore of doing weekly loads of laundry more enjoyable? Whether your washer and dryer have their own dedicated room or are just housed in a hallway closet, the options for sprucing up this space are endless!
- Bathroom updates – After the holidays are behind us and the many guests have gone home, think about tackling that bathroom you’ve always hated. Anywhere from just swapping out the vanity and light fixtures to a whole gut job, now is the time to do this project!
- New flooring – Time to pull up that nasty carpet and upgrade your flooring! The options are amazing and the project can usually be completed in just a few days. The impact new flooring will have in any room is long lasting!
- Attic finishing – If your home has an attic that you just use for storage, consider upgrading and redoing this space. You could create a playroom, an office, a guest room, or just finish it off so that you aren’t bumping your head in the dark everytime the holiday decorations need to be put away.
- Update lighting fixtures – If you are a DIYer, this is a fairly easy task. Look around your home and consider upgrading any light fixtures that are outdated. It’s amazing what a few changes can do to the overall feel of your home!
- Update countertops and backsplashes – Updating kitchen and bathroom countertops and backsplashes is another easy fix that can be completed in a short amount of time. Everyone will think you redid your whole kitchen or bathroom with the right choices!
- Painting – When it is cold outside and the daylight hours are limited, get the paintbrushes and rollers out! Doors and trim need to be freshened up, and those outdated colors should be changed to more neutral tones.
- Update faucets – Another easy project that has a great “wow” factor is updating the faucets throughout your home.
Remember that just a few simple upgrades to your home can make a huge difference in how your home feels and presents itself. If you are considering listing your home for sale in the spring, tackling these projects now will alleviate the stress later, when you are in the middle of decluttering and packing. Also, many contractors will be busy in the spring and summer months, so catch them during their slower period when they can start and complete your project within a reasonable time frame.
Don’t forget to check out RPG’s website at www.ricepropertiesgroup.com for more blogs!